Sunday, July 31, 2011

Take My Breath Away


I had a completely different blog post ready to upload over the weekend. I meant to proofread it but forgot, which is good because something happened yesterday that just completely took my breath away and pretty much was more important than what I was going to write about in my original post.

You see yesterday when the doctors gathered around Landon to discuss his plan for the day, his oxygen alarm kept going off. Instead of going off because he couldn't keep up his oxygen levels, it was going off because his oxygen was too high since he was breathing so well.

His nurse nonchalantly asked the doctor if she could turn his oxygen off. He agreed and they just turned it off and continued rounds as if a MIRACLE hadn't just occurred. So I present to you pics of baby who was never supposed to be born, was never supposed to have functioning lungs, a baby who can breath without any breathing support. God does listen to prayers, he just does stuff in his own time. Regardless of what happens from here on out, we got our miracle. We have the world's most gorgeous miracle baby (I know I am biased, but you have to admit he really is a handsome baby, worthy of an Anne Geddes portrait!)

Landon has had many visitors from the doctors and nurses who have participated in his care for the last 4 months to see the amazing feat of him breathing without support. It is so nice to interact with him when he is so much more portable without the oxygen prongs. He loves to be held and fed a bottle. He cries when I put him back in bed, making it so hard to ever leave him. He is a snuggle bunny!

We did have a few bumps this week as well. He is tolerating his breast milk, but is having trouble absorbing much of it before it 'dumps' into his ostomy bag. This is expected because the portion of his intestines that the original hole occurred is pretty high up in the digestion tract. Since most absorption occurs in the lower portion of the GI system, it makes sense that so much is coming out of the top half. They are trying to 'refeed' the output into his lower intestine but cannot do it as fast as he is dumping it from above. This is leading to him losing weight and nutrients. The doctors continue to try different medicines to help with absorption, but haven't found the magic bullet yet.

From a practical perspective, the increased output causes his ostomy bag to fall off, making a major mess and creating increased infection risk with Landon getting his hands in the output and then in his mouth. It is so frustrating dealing with this, but we are so lucky to have some awesome nurses who assist with this. One in particular, Paula, is always the first in line to help with Landon's bag. This is an unpleasant job that most people would run from, but Paula truly enjoys doing it and Landon (along with his parents) are always happy to see her!

On top of this, Landon's liver function tests are poor and continue to get worse. This is the result of being on the nutrient fluid TPN for so long before he could tolerate breast milk. It can take many weeks to months for his liver to recover, made even harder by his lack of ability to absorb the medications that could help. As the surgeons would prefer for his liver to be in better shape before surgery, this is just another setback.

Poor Landon also had to deal with an eye exam this week that showed the blood vessel problem has returned to the inner corner of his left eye. The rest of his left eye and his right eye look good, so the eye doctor decided to try to give Landon another injection in the left eye. This was a little scary as the injection is a very new medicine that has no information about the side effects of multiple injections. It is still preferable to the alternative of potential eye surgeries and blindness, but it is just another reminder of how the choices we make as parents today could have lifelong consequences to Landon.

Regardless, I am still going to focus on the miracle that God gives to us in every breath Landon takes on his own. I pray for God's direction in making decision for Landon moving forward. We hope to speak with his surgeons soon to get an idea of the plan for his surgery, but also know that sometimes we have to let go and let God (as my mom would say).






7 comments:

  1. And what an AMAZING breath HE is taking! Tracy, Ryan, and handsome little Landon - I have been following your blog for the last few weeks and have attempted multiple times to leave comments without success. (Apparently blogs and iPads do not agree with each other.) Now - with our new computer I am hoping that this messages reaches you!

    What OBSTACLES you have all overcome. I read your posts and oftentimes find myself with tears in my eyes as I remember the rollercoaster that we too experienced just a few short months ago. How wonderful that his HISATs resulted in the nasal canulator being pulled - a sure sign that God IS answering your prayers...He just seems to answer them on His own time and in His own way. :) KEEP THOSE PRAYERS GOING!

    Sorry to hear about the issues with the ostomy bag and with the liver and eyes - he just needs a little more time to heal. :) Looks like he is just busy working on eating and breathing right now - he's keeping busy!

    We keep you in our prayers and have faith that Landon will continue to progress. Here's to hoping that the end of the rollercoaster is just around the corner.

    Paul and Jenell Keller
    Blair and Nolan, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love reading your blog. So great he's off the O's!

    Stephen

    ReplyDelete
  3. the first thing I do when I log on in the morning is check your blog to see how my newest wee cousin is doing.

    God has definitely blessed Landon with an awesome set of parents !!

    cheers,
    Della

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a miracle that he can be off the oxygen! Praise God! Continue to send prayers your way for the other worries. Hope the eye injection does that trick and that his liver functions improve enough for surgery soon. Love you all.
    ~Kelly, Mark, Jacob and Mia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Les thinks he looks like Tracy. Really! Can anyone tell this early!
    Keep up the good work Grandson, Son, Daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really should get some exercise. I'm spending too much time looking at the pictures...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tracy and Ryan,
    It always warms my heart when I read that Landon is getting better. My heart aches for the both of you and Landon when he has a problem. I am so in love with Landon and I haven't even met him. I check your blog every time I get on the computer and hold my breath waiting to read if he is doing well or having a crisis. He is a very strong little guy and shows me that no matter what illness I may be fighting off Landon is my hero.He has overcome so much and deserves to be home in his own little nursery. He is fighting for the two of you because he knows how much you want to take him home and really start raising your family. I really Love you guys and Landon. Can't wait to meet him in person. You do need to know that once a baby is put in my arms especially if he is a snuggler you need to block all entrances:) I continue to pray for all three of you. And as always I end by saying Keep the Faith.

    Love
    Mary Ann

    ReplyDelete