Sunday, July 17, 2011

A 100 Days Confession

Today Landon's intern mentioned that he has hit 100 days in the NICU and said he deserves a party. The first thing I thought was 'what is there to celebrate, it has been 100 days and there is no end in sight.' She is right though, he deserves credit for every minute he has been alive. We have 100 days with him that my doctors said would never happen when my water broke. Regardless of what happens from here on, we are so lucky for these days.

I have to confess, Ryan and I try so hard to put the image that we are handling this effortlessly, but this is hard. When I was on bedrest, I would be sure that he was going to come nearly every night. I begged God to allow him to stay in me just one more day and he did. I am not perfect. I want to have faith and patience and strength in God's plan, but sometimes this seems like an impossible task. Last week was particularly impossible with the obstacles Landon faced.

He continued to drop his heart rate and the oxygen level in his blood to the point of needing resuscitation more than 6 times a day. Finally, it got so bad he had to be put on the ventilator. On top of that, they stopped feeding him just in case his heartrate problems were due to an infection in his belly. And then came the hardest news of all, they did a test to see how Landon's heart was working. It showed signs of a condition called pulmonary hypertension, which essentially is the first stage of heart failure. This condition is not uncommon with babies who have bad lungs. Their lungs are working so hard that it causes the heart to work too hard as well. Thankfully, Landon just shows the beginnings of this condition and it is still very treatable. His doctors are still figuring out the best treatment plan, and we should have a better idea of what they will do over the next few weeks.

After the discovery of his heart problems, some bacteria cultures showed that Landon had an infection in his throat. This more than likely caused the sudden onset of low heartrate and low oxygen saturation. He started to feel and act much better within a day of getting antibiotics for the infection. Today, he was feeling so much better that they were able to take out his vent tube. This was good because he HATED the vent much more this go around than any other time because he is older now. Our hope is that the infection made his heart show signs of pulmonary hypertension and once he is done with antibiotics in a few weeks, his heart will look better.

Just to make things even more interesting, his right eye caught up with his left eye and was on the threshold of needing surgery. He received the injection in his right eye as an alternative to surgery and so far it seems to be working. They will have to keep a close eye on both of his eyes, but hopefully his eyes continue to grow as they should. We do know he can see though because his new thing is to stare at the pooh bear stuffed animal we got him. We think he may like him because he is yellow and Landon is pretty yellow due his poor liver function. It is his brother from another mother!

I have received many questions about when Landon can go home. Trust me when I say that question is always in the back of my mind. The short answer is that it won't be any time soon. Although he is big enough to have his gut surgery, he is just not stable enough. He has to be off of the vent for an extended period time. They would also prefer him to be at full feeds of breast milk for a period of time to help his liver to start working better. These things will happen on his (Landon's) and His (God's) time. I wish I had a crystal ball to see when this will be. Instead I must pray for faith and strength and patience.





5 comments:

  1. Tracy,

    You ARE one of the strongest people I have ever known. I can't imagine what this must be like for you. I'm so sorry that Landon has been having a rough time lately. The 100 day milestone is awesome and not only is it due to God, but it is also due to your never ending love and support for your amazing son. We will continue to pray for all of you and please, let us know if we can ever do anything. Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though these medical issues are incredibly overwhelming (and it's not even my baby!), I am amazed by the incredible job your medical team is doing! I know, this is their job and what they went to school for, but it's awesome. I thank God that he's put your baby in such a great hospital to care for him. 100 days truly are a miracle, and something to celebrate. He's getting so big, and is very cute! He deserves to be spoiled. Keep buying him toys! =)

    I'll pray for God to give you extra grace as you are trying to be patient. As you said, God's timing is perfect. It's hard to realize that as you are waiting, but He knows what's best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep trying to post to this thing and, whether the firewall here at work, or some other intervening ineptitude (mine or others'), I always end up frustrated, and my comments lost. Hopefully, I've had a breakthrough - this posting will tell me :o)

    Tracy and Ryan, I cannot put into words how proud I am of the two of you and your little lion Landon. I see faith in you that I only wish I can attain. God rewards such faith. I pray that he rewards your little family greatly, and that you can be with each other at home, and live long, fruitful lives. You and Landon have shown me much this year. I pray for all of you - but for Landon in particular.

    Love ya!
    -Uncle P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tracy and Ryan,
    I don't know what to say except keep the faith. It is so hard to do that when you are watching a loved one struggling like Landon has been. I often wonder why God does the things that he has done. I wonder why such great families like yours have to struggle daily while others that feel entitlement very rarely have to suffer. I know how hard it is to keep the faith but I truly believe in the power of prayer because I have seen the miracles that have come from it. I know it is easier said than done but keep talking to God and he will give Landon his miracle. You and Ryan are allowed to be pissed at God once in a while. I have been alot. But know deep in your heart that he loves you and Landon and will give you the miracle we are all praying for. I believe that God would not have given you your little fighter Landon if He didn't want you to have him and watch him grow from a baby to a toddler then a little person then a teenager(hardest time) than a young adult He would have led you down the path the doctors wanted you to take before Landon was born. You and Ryan are very strong and loving people who have faith and are inspiring everyone who reads these blogs, I know I couldn't handle the things that you have. Landon and your family are always in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete