Sunday, July 24, 2011

Lend Me Your Eyes, I Can Change What You See




















Landon had a good week this week. It just goes to show you how fast things can change in the NICU. From being taken off the vent last Sunday to his first adventure in a swing today, I feel as if this week we were really able to open our eyes and see the real Landon. A Landon who is not in pain or trying to fight the vent tube or upset because he is so hungry.

The real Landon LOVES food. He is still being continuously feed through a tube in his nose, but was able to start trying a bottle this week. His biggest problem is in his excitement to get in as much milk in as a short a time as possible, he forgets to swallow and breathe. This kid eats like he has never been fed before and essentially he really hasn't. He is on full feeds of breast milk and no longer needs the nutrient liquid that was causing problems with his liver.

He is having problems digesting his food because the hole in his intestine was so high in his stomach and nutrient absorption usually happens in the lower intestine. This can be remedied by taking the output from his ostomy bag and refeeding it into the other part of his intestines. The hope would be that he can get enough nutrients to keep growing with this setup. We will know in the next couple of weeks if this is the case.

Besides food, Landon loves having the vent out and the elephant mask off. He is on a special form of nasal prongs that allow both oxygen and pressurized air to get into his lungs. He has been doing phenomenally on these and is so much happier. He now opens his eyes and really looks around like he is seeing the world for the first time. He is also much more portable with the nasal prongs, which allowed him to take his first trip to the 'playground.' The playground being a swing on the floor next to his isolette. He LOVES swinging and was very upset when we took him out of it to eat.

Now that he is doing better, we are hoping that the problems with his heart from pulmonary hypertension may be diminished. We will know later this week when he has a test to see how his heart is coping. We pray that the pulmonary hypertension is less as that is one less medication and complication he would have to deal with.

Now for a side not totally related to Landon's progress note. We are so lucky for the amazing friends and family that have been supporting us throughout this journey. I am constantly surprised for the thoughtful gestures, gifts, and prayers that we are given. These let me know that Landon has not only changed our lives but touched the lives of countless people. Such big shoes for such a little guy!





5 comments:

  1. I thank God to hear Landon has been doing better this week. I pray you won't have any more set backs! Hopefully, he'll continue to improve more and more. My kids mention him often and are praying for him as well. Thanks for the updates!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Go Landon! So glad to hear he's doing better, and that he got to play in the swing!! Whoever invented those baby swings is a genius. Love the recent pics - he's such a cutie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ryan and Tracy,
    God is good and I know you both believe that the power of prayer is very powerful. I love reading when he is doing well and I thank God for that. I also pray when he is not doing so well. I think it is so important that everyone thanks God with every milestone Landon has as well as praying for him when he is in distress. Your blog today made my heart leap with joy. I want you yo know I think about your family everyday and pray for the day Landon can come home. he is so adorable(smalla)Arabs say that after they say something nice about someone to keep the evil eye away. So I will keep talking to God and ask him to allow Landon to come home soon. I have my hand sanitizer,gloves and mask ready. Love you guys and like I always say keep the faith. Mary Ann

    ReplyDelete
  4. Any new updates? We're still praying everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awake My Soul came on my playlist the other day and I finally realized where this title came from. He said the line and I said out loud "Landon!" I check the site multiple times a day for more good news (obsessive, but I want more good news!). :) Can't wait till you can take your sweet boy home with you! And then I can come and see him at home where he belongs. :) Have a great day. Love y'all. :) I'll keep checking. Keep on posting!
    Much Texas love!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete