Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The Road to Recovery (with a few detours)

















Landon has a wee bit of a difficult time with just about everything he has done in his short life and his recovery from surgery has been no exception. He did amazingly well right after surgery, but had a setback the next day. He needed a lot of blood during the night, which caused some complications because little babies like Landon have a hard time figuring out what to do with all the extra fluid the blood brings.

When you or I drink extra fluids or get a blood transfusion our bodies know where to put that fluid to help us. However, preemie babies haven't developed the mechanisms that control the fluid in their body very well and sometimes when their body gets a large influx of fluid, it leaks into places it is not supposed to be. In Landon's case, it migrates to his lungs and sits on them making it hard to impossible to breathe. The extra fluid also overwhelmed his kidneys so they stopped producing urine all the while his poor little body was trying to recover from a major surgery that completely changed his physiology.

This was too much for his body to handle and he ended up needing to be paralyzed and put on a very high support ventilator. He also gained a pound in extra fluid, making his body swell up. Although these were all expected results from his surgery, it is still scary to see doctors surrounding your baby trying to keep him alive and breathing. We are so very thankful to Dr. Ana (one of his main surgeons), Dr. D, and Dr. Allison who worked together to keep him breathing and comfortable so he could continue to heal. We are especially grateful to his other mother Nurse Kimmy, who changed her schedule so she could take care of him (and us) during this hard week. That is not to mention his other other mothers nurses Pam, Barb M., Barb K., Theresa, and Anne who always take such good care of him and called to check on him when they weren't there!

Thankfully after that one scary day Landon got back on the right track. He has slowly been losing the fluid weight and only needed to be paralyzed for a few days. This last week has definitely reminded me that every day in the NICU is like a present. Sometimes it is a pimple on your wedding day kind of present and sometimes it is an unexpected box of chocolates from your husband kind of present, but a present nonetheless. Today it was a good present because Landon got off of the vent for the FINAL time!!!!

We have spent all of our time in the NICU waiting for Landon to get his surgery and now that he has had it, we are now waiting for him to go home! Landon is awake and aware and ready to get on with him life. I can't wait to see what presents he brings us tomorrow and the rest of his life!

I have included pictures of him from today right after getting the vent. He is still a little puffy, but is definitely looking more like his old self. I think some of these pics have captured him looking at his baby angels. We tell him that the baby angels want him to get better so he can go out and live a life that they should have had as well. Just having him will help us to experience life as we never have before because of the gift each moment is.

I also have some amazing pictures that a photographer friend of ours, Andrew Langlois, offered to take. This was before his surgery, but I imagine we will have many more now that he is feeling better. There were so many beautiful pics I couldn't include them all (I may be biased that my child is ADORABLE). Andrew did an amazing job even with the bad NICU lighting and Landon's slightly yellowish tinge from being jaundice. I must make a shameless plug for him because of the wonderful service his did for us and because he is talented! His website is http://www.andrewlangloisphoto.com/ and we are so lucky to have him as friend.


































































































4 comments:

  1. Our little Miracle is a fighter. I held my breath reading the beginning of this blog. Hearing that he had some setbacks scared me so much I was afraid to read on. But I decided every challenge that Landon has been through there had to be a happy ending. So I read on and saw that he is still a tough little man. I feel so blessed that I was able to be a part of a miracle. It is really helping me cope with my mother in law having to be hospitalized. We are no longer able to give her the care she needs. We have had our challenges over the past three years with her and knew this day would come. We are going to have to make alot of hard decisions. Because of the three of you I have faith that God will show us the way. It is ironic that the day Landon had his surgery and amazingly did what doctors said would never happen...HE LIVED and is healing, My mother-in law had to be hospitalized. I now have the strength to deal with the challenges and decisions to come. You guys are my hero's and Landon is my inspiration to wake up every day with the Faith I need to help our family through this difficult time. I pray for the day that Landon is home in his nursery and your lives as a normal family begins. I feel guilty praying that God will have mercy on our family and not have to watch Mom suffer long. I have tears of joy for your family and tears of sadness for ours. With the faith and strength that you guys have had though all your challenges makes it easier to keep the faith that God will spare our mother a long and hard remainder of her life. I really love you guys and am so in Love with Landon. I have not posted anything about my mother-in-law because I know my brother in law is still in a bit of denial so Please pray for mom but do not post anything he can read. I really appreciate your support and discretion. Love you all and as always Keep the Faith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing... such an amazing, miracle baby. I can't believe his next step is to go home! Love the pictures. You guys are such a beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Can't wait to get this guy on the ice! Can't wait to see this guy show up his old man!
    Love you Landon, Tracy, Ryan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All of you are looking wonderful and prayers will continuously be sent Landon's way for a speedy recovery! What a little solider he is!

    ReplyDelete