Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Break a Leg!! Isn't that supposed to mean good luck?



I haven't shared my view of the Landon saga until now. My wife has provided new courage and has allowed us to share our story with so many people. Our struggles have brought people together and have helped support us during these trying times. Tracy has put her life on hold in order to help keep Landon alive from bed rest to the constant care at the hospital. Day and night she dedicates every minute she has in order to provide support for our son. I cannot say enough of her dedication and love for our family and especially Landon.
Today was going to be a semi routine day for us: wake up see Landon, off to work we go. He was scheduled for a contrast study on the lower half of his bowels. In case you forgot his gut is divided into two sections, the upper half and lower half. The day before a contrast study was performed on the upper half in order to test for any leaks or strictures that would prevent any feedings. In aviation terms the upper half was an ops check leak check good, feedings are a go for the top half. Today a contrast study was planned to be performed on the lower half.
Tracy went to the hospital earlier then me in order to be there for the contrast study and since I work late I wanted an extra hour of sleep. When I was getting ready for my trip to the hospital I noticed Tracy had called. When returning her call I kept rehearsing to myself excuses of why I haven't left the house yet, such as the dog was being bad, I was making the bed for her, doing the dishes or just plain being lazy. My phone rang and at the other end was Tracy and the tone wasn't the chipper wife I'm used to hearing. She collected herself enough to tell me that Landon's right femur was broken. My heart stopped as I quickly got ready and rushed to the hospital to see my son. A person can only handle so much weight until they give away but I have to keep reminding myself that its Landon who is pushing the weight back up and Landon is the one who keeps fighting no matter what is thrown at him. I arrived at the hospital worried and upset and wondering why but I stayed strong in front of my son in order to show no fear. Of course I stand there asking myself how or who but that doesn't matter what's done is done. I have to care for my son and let him know that he will be okay and the girls will dig him for the pain he has endured.
Since Landon has been without proper nutrition his bones have become weak over time and proper minerals were leaving his bones in order to care for other parts of the body. His bones obviously became brittle enough to break. The break could've of happen to anybody without notice but thank God for the contrast study x-ray or this would've been unnoticed to the naked eye. Without the x-ray we would've continued to think Landon was cranky and just needed more love from his parents in order to keep him happy. He still enjoys the simple things in life, glow worm, oxygen, a clean diaper, and of course mom's warm hand.
Tracy and I often think about when are we going to have a break or when will we be able to sit on the couch all day and watch TV with Landon. But we often remember that the one person that isn't ever asking for such things is Landon. He doesn't get to go anywhere or get away to have a tasty treat (beer for me, tasty treat for the wife) when times are rough. He hangs out in the same spot and battles everyday to show how much love he has for his parents. His eyes gaze towards his parents to let us know that he is here and he will come home.
Although going to work everyday is tough, I want to thank everybody there that has showed their concern and gratitude towards Landon, myself and Tracy. The laughs I gain from my peers carry on to Landon which in turn helps him get through another day. I cannot thank enough the flexibility my work has provided in order to care for my son. Tracy's hard work and dedication to her job has showed Landon how inspiring his parents can be, which keeps him going. Our friends and family have been there providing us with care without even asking for it which we are truly grateful for. We cannot express how much we thank everybody that has helped us during these trying times.
I know my writing isn't as good as Tracy's and everybody looks forward to her book quality post but please look past my missed punctuation, grammer or whatever.

4 comments:

  1. Our hearts break with yours. We continue to pray for Landon, and for the two of you every day. God will give you both the strength to endure. It must just feel like one bad thing after another. All of this makes your little boy even more special. Please let Mark know if there is ever anything we can do for your family. We will keep praying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ryan, your entry is amazing. It's very evident that you love and care for your wife and son so very much. Our prayers have been with your family from the very beginning and will continue to be with you. Please let us know if we can do ANYTHING to help you and Tracy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ryan, you brought tears to my eyes. I can feel the love and warm fuzziness in your post. I'm sorry to hear about Landon's leg. That poor little guy. God knows what he is doing though and I have faith that you will have those days just sitting with him at home doing nothing medical related and it will be awesome! Prayers continue on our end. Sending hugs and love to you, Tracy and "baby Landon" (as my kids call him).
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ryan I graduated from Detroit Public schools in the 70's. If you spelled something wrong I wouldn't know it. You, Tracey and Landon are strong and special people. God will help to heal Landon. Look at far he has come when he wasn't even suppose to survive according to the doctors. He is a miracle and all the prayers your family is receiving shows that. Stay strong and Please tell us if we can do anything to help.

    ReplyDelete